Sunday 4 January 2015

I retired because of Keshi -Martins

Seattle sounders and ex-Nigeria international, Obafemi Martins has revealed that part of the major reasons he retired of international was the hatred of out of contract coach Stephen Keshi had for him.

"He never wanted me in the national team from the scratch," Martins said after a novelty game. 

"So instead of waiting for a call I called it quits,"

"He never called me I did the calling because I was passionate about the team and the progress,"

Martins who played twice under Keshi further revealed that he had no regrets in his decision.

"There are steps you take not because you like them but because you want to focus on the challenge ahead."

Martins made his first appearance for the Super Eagles on May 29, 2004, against Ireland. He has been capped 38 times and scored 18 goals.

He made two appearances in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, playing a total of 71 minutes in First Stage against Korea and Argentina.  He also played in the Africa Cup of Nations in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

No comments: