Wednesday 7 January 2015

Enyeama starts the winning process, wins Goal's best player in Nigeria award

Nigeria super eagles captain Vincent Enyeama who plays for Lille Metrople of France have been voted Goal Nigeria player of the year for 2014.

Enyeama was presented the award at his base in France and he had this to say:

"I’m happy, really happy,” he enthused. “I want to thank my teammates at Lille, the Nigeria national team, my coaches, my wife, my fans, everybody who voted for me, who scream for me during matches to encourage me. And the journalists, without which nothing will be possible.”

Enyeama who breaks a two year hold of the award by Chelsea's john obi mikel and being the 2nd person to win it also said:

“I think it’s really hard for a goalkeeper to be recognized. I want to say to all the other goalkeepers that they have to work hard. If they work hard, with God, everything is possible,”

Enyeama with 55% of the votes casts overcame competition from Ahmed Musa (26%), Obafemi Martins (10%), Mfon Udoh (6%) and Ike Uche with 3% of total votes cast.

The Lille shot stopper also told Goal about his work, his target and also about his most memorable save:

“I want to win every match. Everyday, I give my best to be better than yesterday,”

“My target [is] to be the best goalkeeper in the world. This is my dream, and I’m working hard for this.
“In Nigeria, we have worked on basics and specific things. Our coach [Stephen] Keshi is very important.

“At Lille, Jean Pierre Mottet is very helpful too. They really helped to shape me, to shape my style, to make me who I am, a good goalkeeper.
“I’m not yet at my best level, I have many things to work out,”

“The most memorable save, it’s very difficult to say because there were so many matches, so many saves in my career.
Sometimes double saves, triple saves in a match… I can’t really choose one. But if I had to choose one moment, I think it was the last minute save against Bosnia,”.

Enyeama will face the limelight once again tomorrow  when he goes head to head with ivorian powerhouse Yaya Toure and Gabonese striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in a fight for who becomes king of Africa football for the year.



No comments: