Friday 17 April 2015

Scoring against Arsenal will make me enemy no.1- Yakubu

The ex- Nigeria striker says he will upset 60 per cent of Nigerians if he scores in the FA Cup semi-final.

Reading FC of England star Yakubu  Aiyegbeni believes he will make himself public enemy No.1 in Nigeria if he scores against Arsenal in Saturdays FA Cup semi-final game.
 

The Royals’ striker, who scored the winner in the fifth round tie at Derby, has been inundated with requests for tickets ever since Steve Clarke’s set up their meeting with the Gunners.

His friends back home have all been on the phone, asking him to get them into Wembley. This is not because they wanna see the 32-year-old make his first ever appearance at the famous Wembley stadium, rather it’s to cheer on Arsene Wengers men.

The player stressed that assuming he had scored against the Gunners while at Blackburn and Portsmouth, he wouldn't have been able to return home.
“All my friends back home support Arsenal,” said Yakubu.
“Whenever I play them I always give them tickets to come and watch and they say to me they want me to lose. They say I can score one, but that’s it.“They never want me to win. But that’s normal.
“Back home in Nigeria, 60 per cent of the country supports Arsenal. They love them.
“Arsenal fans are all over the place. Even when the Nigerian players are playing against Arsenal, they want Arsenal to win. It’s strange but you have to accept it.”
“It’s always been the same,” he said.
“When I was at Middlesbrough or Portsmouth, they always want me to lose.

“My friends always do that to me. So I always tease them whenever Arsenal lose. I do it a lot.
“Whenever I beat Arsenal I say to them, did you guys win today? And they go crazy with me," he concluded.
The "Yak" enjoyed a good record against Arsenal scoring five times over his long career.

No comments: