Friday 20 March 2015

Reports linking me to Nigeria is due to Okocha- West Ham boss



West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has squashed reports linking him with the vacant Nigeria managerial position. The English man who in the last week has been linked with three jobs claims he still has a job at West Ham.


His words " At the last count I believe I’ve been linked with three jobs this week: Sunderland, QPR and Nigeria!
The first thing I have to say is that, in case no one noticed, I still have a job here at West Ham.
I understand why the speculation is there, of course I do. Everyone knows my contract with the club expires at the end of June and, as yet, nothing further has been decided.


I would stress that, providing everyone is happy, I would like to stay at West Ham. They are a great club, moving in the right direction and a lot is now in place for sustained improvement.
I suppose, if a new contract has been signed and sealed, my name wouldn’t have been mentioned in connection with any other club or job."

Good old days: Big Sam and Okocha at Bolton
The former Bolton and Newcastle United tactical wizard stated that his relationship with former Nigeria captain Austin Jay Jay Okocha who played under him at Bolton wanderers was the rational behind his connection with Nigeria.

He said "  I presume the Nigeria connection, for example, is because Jay Jay Okocha, who played for me at Bolton, and is now involved in football in that country."
Big Sam as he is fondly called had nice words for the two-time BBC African Footballer Of The Year as he praised the Nigerian linking him with football great, David Beckham.

"For me, Jay Jay is a top man, one of the best I’ve met and Nigeria’s equivalent to David Beckham in his stature and the esteem he commands in his homeland. Here’s a small sample of the man. He can speak four different languages, he was seen as flamboyant on the field of play but off it he is very calm, collected, family orientated and quite a religious person.

He also has had the intelligence to learn valuable lessons from wherever life has taken him, from Nigeria to Germany, Turkey, France and then England."

No comments: