Wednesday 21 October 2015

Oliseh, Pinnick, others react to Emenike's shocking retirement



Nigeria football community woke up on Tuesday morning to the news that Al Ain of UAE striker, Emmanuel Emenike has quit international football.

The decision according to the former Spartak Moscow goal machine was solely for "national interest" amid speculation that he might be axed by coach Sunday Oliseh for subsequent games.

"Sometimes it's better to remove yourself from an environment that doesn't suit you mentally and physically, this is what I have done," Emenike told BBC Sports.

Just like many Nigerians, Oliseh has taken the news with shock and is yet to come to terms that the 28-year-old has quit his team.

"It was a big shocker for us and a big shocker for me personally," the gaffer told Brilla Fm.

"And personally, I still don't accept that he (Emenike) has retired because, officially, I have not heard anything from him, and I don't think the federation have heard anything from him, only what we've seen is what is pasted on social media," Oliseh added.

 The tactician however debunked claims in the media that he and his coaching crew had planned to drop the striker for his below-par performances for the Super Eagles.

"He has been part of our building process, and in fact, he has had more playing time than any other striker that we've had. So I am very surprised that he has retired," Oliseh narrated

"I have called him twice. Immediately I heard it, the first thing was that I needed to get a confirmation which I called him yesterday (Tuesday) and I am still expecting a return call. So when I hear from him, that is when I will accept that he really has retired."

Joining Oliseh is NFF President Amaju Pinnick who declared that he was "utterly flabbergasted' by the resignation of the powerful forward .

"We (NFF) have not been contacted officially but I'm shocked because Emenike has been a major factor of success for the team. Players have the right to quit but I think that they should do it in a civil manner," the administrator said.

Veteran coach Joe Erico added his voice to the whole Emenike saga stressing that it did not come to him as a surprise.

 "It's not strange," he reacted. "He has done well within a short spell with the national team."

While former international, Fatai Amoo,  believes Emenike's retirement from international football  is ill-timed and a "bit hasty".

And Finally Enyimba coach, Kadiri Ikhana suggested that the decision of the Al Ain striker to quit the Super Eagles could lead to disorder in the national team.

"Two players retiring from the national team can bring disorder into the team because both were leading stars, respected by their teammates. It is not too good for us, especially, the sudden nature of Emenike's decision."

No comments: