Friday 10 April 2015

Meet the young Nigerian striker who went from watching his dream team to playing for them


When Enyimba International travelled to Ibadan to play Shooting Stars two seasons back, a young striker watched the action from the stands. He watched this team from Aba battle the Oluyole Warriors to a 1-1 draw in front of their fans.

 That display was enough to not only turn this young striker into a fan of the Peoples Elephant but made him resolve to wear the famous blue jersey of Enyimba International.

Fast forward, two seasons later, Enyimba announced the acquisition of striker Ebenezer Odeyemi from Kogi United. That young striker who could only watch and wish from the stands two years ago has come to live his dreams.

"I feel so great because it is dream come true for me. I want to thank God for this," Odeyemi began as he sat down for a chat with npfl.ng.

"I just love Enyimba and I love watching them anytime I have the opportunity either from the stands or on from the
television screen. Like last year, I watched their Federation Cup match against Niger Tornados. I used to tell my friends that I love the team and how they play so I am happy to be part of the team finally."

As the last season wound up to a close, there were indications that Enyimba were making inquiries about the striker who netted ten times in the league for the confluence club but he could not believe it until the six-time Glo Premier League Champions picked him en route their Super Four Invitational Tournament in Abuja.

"Actually the calls had been coming even before I finished last season with Kogi United but the real thing started in
December last year. I was called and told by my management that I will join Enyimba in this season's campaign. That was like one week after the chairman had
told me Enyimba was negotiating with them about me," The Osun-born striker said.

The 24-year-old is not unaware of thehuge task facing him as an Enyimba striker and he recognizes that nailing a
place in the side will require hard-work. "My personal target is to score goals and to help promote the team. I want to
contribute my own quota to move Enyimba to the next level. Enyimba is a great club and the support they have is
just too much. Fans come to watch every match.

"I respect every player here and we have different qualities which if we combine well, will help the team. I believe in the
quality God gave me and I will contribute my own part for the benefit of the team. I dream and strongly believe that my
performances for Enyimba can earn me a national call up," Odeyemi said.

Ebenezer Odeyemi as we gather has already struck a good friendship with last season's top goal scorer, Mfon Udoh and has been
issued Enyimba's number 33 jersey this season.


Source: npfl.ng

No comments: